Have you ever struggled to find the right necklace for your outfit? Do the necklaces you choose get caught on your most delicate blouses? What if they are too bulky under your coat? I have the perfect fix for this dilemma. This DIY make is the perfect accessory to finish off a crew neckline on your little black dress, sweater or top. This collar instantly elevates your look from drab to fab. So, join me and let’s use up some of your scrap fabric and learn how to make a reversible collar.
- pattern (Download HERE) This pattern allows for a 1/4″ seam allowance
- fabric of your choosing (approximately 24 inches wide and 8 inches in height)
- 1 hook and loop (or eye) latch/fastener OR
- 2 small snaps
- measuring tape
- sewing machine
- Cut out two collars from the pattern piece. Make sure your fabric is right sides together before pinning your pattern piece.
- You will have two sets of two collars. With right sides together, pin together opposite fabrics (if you are choosing to make it reversible).
- Sew down the length of one side of the collar from top (where it would sit at the back of the neck) to the bottom (where the two sides meet). Turn over and sew down the other side from top to bottom. Repeat for the other set of two. Don’t sew the top end.
- After sewing the inside seam of each collar, sew down the end (which sits at the front) leaving a quarter of an inch open. Make sure you backstitch where you end the seam.
- Clip the curve and the corners of each collar piece.
- Take the hook piece and slide it down into the opening so the hook part is in the inside and the loops of the hook are in alignment with the seam.
- Hand stitch each eye into the opening.
- Hand stitch the loop/eye the same way to the other side of the collar.
- Turn the collar pieces right side out and make sure you can see the hook and have access for the hook to hook into the loop/eye.
- Connect the hook the eye and make sure it lays correctly.
To demonstrate the steps above, I have added a short video to help you.
I have included alternate steps if you don’t want to use a hook and eye in the front. You will complete steps one to five as shown above and then proceed with the steps below for a closure at the back of the collar.
Alternate back closure steps
- Thread your needle and add a knot to the end. Drop the needle down inside one side of the collar and thread it through to the outside at the top of one of the collar sides. Then put the needle into the other collar side and draw it out about a quarter of an inch. Then thread back into the first side a quarter of an inch from where you started. Continue doing this until it feels tight enough. Knot your thread and cut off excess thread.
- Take both of the back collar openings and press the seam in about a half an inch to the inside.
- Sew the one side of two snaps to the inner pressed fabric.
- Line up where the matching snaps will go and mark with a pin. Sew the coordinating other half of the snap to the other piece.
I hope you have loved how to make a reversible collar tutorial. Please share the love with a comment or pin. Thank you!