As we get busier outdoors this time of year, we tend to spend less time indoors and less time with our plants. But I know you still want to have that home decor arrangement that says, “summer”. I have an easy solution for you. How about any easy DIY craft cactus to complete your summer display for your living room? So follow along and I will show you how to fake a green thumb 101.
It is really simple to create a potted cactus, prickles not included. And trust me, if you have any left over felt from another DIY craft, then you will have all the supplies needed for this. If you don’t happen to have any left over green felt then here is a great bundle of different greens perfect for this project.
Supplies for tall Cactus:
I have to give credit where it is due for this home decor project. The inspiration and pattern for this DIY is Better Homes & Gardens Make It Yourself Magazine Spring/Summer Edition. The designer is SAH-RAH: sah-rah.com. You can find this Magazine on store shelves now or go to MakeitYourselfMagazine.com
Let’s Get Started
- Cut six of the pattern pieces for the cactus. Sew two pieces together around the curved outer edge using a blanket stitch (find the blanket stitch tutorial HERE) and tying off the end, leaving the bottom open. Do the same for two more pairs.
2. Then sew the three pairs together down the middle. Once this is tied off at the bottom, fill up each area with rice, using a small skewer to push the rice down to the bottom.
3. Then sew the bottom of the cactus up using a whip stitch (find a whip stitch tutorial HERE).
4. Paint your clay pot (if desired) with spray paint or craft paint. One pot I painted with craft paint and the other I sprayed gold (as I couldn’t decide which colour to use and then I did another cactus).
5. If your pot is too deep place some of the white rock in the pot (I filled mine half way up). Then I put in the cactus and added the rest of the white rock up to the top while holding the top of the cactus. The cactus isn’t secured to the bottom of the pot in this case so if you want to have it adhered to the bottom of the pot, then use a glue gun to do so.
Supplies for Small Round Cactus:
4. Repeat this four times with one thread and then four times with the other thread so that you get eight equal sections.
I just placed the cactus on top of the white rock that I filled the clay pot with. Add the glass head straight pins for the spikes.
Check out my other felt tutorial as pictured below in the Twinings vintage tin called “Not Sew Succulent“.
Now that you know how to fake a green thumb 101, don’t forget to grab your “Life is like a Cactus: Thorny but Beautiful” printable. If you love FREE, go to the FREE PRINTABLES gallery page to get more goodies (2018 Calendar, gift tags, cards, and quote prints).
Super easy, affordable and quick! Is this a DIY craft project that you would be up for on a rainy day? Let me know if this DIY tutorial finds it’s way into your home. This would be a great activity to do with kids as well!
If you like what you have read, please comment, pin and share! Thank you!
Blessings from my house to yours,