During this COVID pandemic, our new normal has included wearing masks. There are so many types of masks out there and like me, I am sure you have tried a selection. I found that making my own for my family and I has been the best way to get the right fit. This project is exciting for me to share with you as I am not only offering a Free mask pattern but I am sharing my new fabrics in my third pattern collection, “Berry Delightful“.
I have included an adult size as well as a youth/child size. If you need to adjust the sizing, I recommend adjusting the bottom of the mask by adding or taking away fabric from this area. They are reversible so you have two different options for fabric. The double fabric allows space for inserting a filter. These masks do not fog up glasses and have adjustable silicone cord locks that were an inexpensive Amazon find.
- 2 types of cotton fabric ( each piece being 10″ width x 7″ length)
- silicone cord locks
- sewing machine
- needle and thread
- crochet hook (to loop the elastic through the cord locks)
- DIY Mask 2 Sizes Pattern (download here)
This pattern is simple and from start to finish takes less than an hour.
Sewing the Mask
- With right sides together, place free mask pattern and pin. Cut two of two fabrics of your choosing.
- One of the sets of fabric will be wider to allow for the elastic to go through.
- With right sides together, sew along the curved edge with a 1cm or 3/8″ seam allowance.
- Clip this curved seam so it lays flat when turned right side out.
- Pin the two coordinating fabrics with right sides together. Fold down the smaller fabric along the sides prior to sewing the top and bottom together.
6. Turn right side out and press.
7. Fold the wider mask on the outer edge twice and press.
8. Make sure this folded edge lines up with the outer edge of the other fabric.
9. Sew along this inner edge as close to the edge as possible
10. Using a safety pin, attach to one end of your chosen elastic and loop through this side pocket that you just made.
11. Take one of the cord locks and push through a crochet hook from the small opening through to the larger opening.
12. Grab one end of the elastic in the hook, pulling it up tight into the hook and then pull it through the cord lock. Repeat for the other end of the elastic so both ends are coming through the cord lock.
13. Adjust the cord lock and make sure it slides easily and the elastic is not twisted.
14. Sew the end of the elastic together with needle and thread.
15. And you are done and ready to wear your handmade mask!
I love the versatility of these masks; adjustable and reversible. These bright, fresh colors add to an otherwise boring outfit as well. As soon as I was done the first one in the photo above, I wore it out with a bright pink wool coat.
Are you ready to start something amazing?
Do you desire to take your hobby and start a creative online presence?
Do you want to build a creative business but are struggling to find the answer to “what do I do next?”
I can help you ACHIEVE your goal and LAUNCH your business. I can help take out the overwhelm.
So, go for it! Take that step and book your FREE 15 minute call (I will be so excited for you, it just may turn into 30 minutes) with myself, a Counsellor turned Coach with 17 years experience.
You are going to love the new you!
Watch the quick the video below for more information.
Click HERE to get started.
Remember to pin image to read later or share Pinterest. Thank you!
I hope you have enjoyed this easy to follow free mask pattern tutorial and are dreaming up your own designs. If you have liked what you have read, please share the love with a comment or a pin. Thank you!
Blessings from my house to yours,