Creating new ways to use my artwork from my first pattern collection, Blooming and Becoming is a joy and a privilege. As a surface pattern designer, the creative expressions are truly endless. When thinking of ways to use my artwork in every day life, I envision wearing my designs. Jewelry has always been a wardrobe staple, so I thought why not make my own DIY cabachon earrings?
In this post, I will show you the supplies I used plus how to make your own. You could easily draw or paint an image or make a repeating pattern in a program such as Adobe Illustrator as I did.
- images or art prints
- glass cabachons (mine measured 12 mm) (purchased on Amazon.ca)
- metal earring posts (stainless steel with gold plating purchased on Amazon.ca) or silver earring posts
- Mod Podge gloss
- Jewelry & Bead Glue E6000
- Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70%
- Cotton swabs
Trace out your desired image that you want to show. I used the glass cabachon to trace around the image and then cut it out.
- Put a small amount of Mod Podge on the flat surface of the cabachon.
- Place the cut out image face down on the glass cabachon. Let dry for 20 minutes.
- Once the Mod Podge has set, put another thin layer on the backside of the paper image. Let it set again for 20 minutes
- Trim excess paper the sticks out beyond the cabachon glass.
- Use your Jewelry & Bead E6000 glue and put a very small bead on a broken cotton swab and spread out on the base of the metal cabachon holder.
- Set the glass cabachon into the metal earring back making sure it is level.
Take a peak at some closeups of the earrings in this collection with this short video.
I love how these earrings are small but have big impact. The chosen gold backing bring out the details of the artwork delightfully. Below, the earrings are displaying a rose from “Beauty Unfolding“
I thought it was only fitting to use the same patterns as coordinating earring displays. Below are the earrings, “Pink in Full Bloom” displayed on “Heaven Scent“. The fabric used as a background is “Majestic Handiwork“
Pictured below, the turquoise leaves on a light mauve background earrings are from “Breath of Heaven” displayed on “Beauty Unfolding”
I made the earring display cards double sided so I could display my business name on the back.
I loved using my teacup saucers to create a whimsical and colorful display.
Below is another pair of peonies from the garden print called “Fullness of Joy” displayed on “Keep Becoming”.
The earrings below are from the pattern “Heaven Scent”.
Below are the earrings, “Awaken and Behold” displayed on “Fullness of Joy” earring card.
This collection officially launches on April 7, 2020!
I hope you have enjoyed this fun DIY Cabachon Earrings tutorial. If you have liked what you have read, please share the love with a comment or a pin.
Blessings from my house to yours,
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.