As creatives, we take pride in the tools of our trade. We have taken time and money to find the right brush, pen, paper, or fabric to suit our creative needs. If you are like me, I love good quality when it comes to my watercolor brushes. The better quality of the brush, the better it holds water and applies color much better. Therefore, to keep my brushes like new, I need to take care and attention with them. When I am at home, I store them upright in a container but when I go out I like to carry them with care. I have created a brush roll with the watercolor artist or sketch artist in mind. This DIY brush roll for artists is also great for storing your makeup brushes. I hope you love following along in this step by step tutorial to create your own brush roll.
- old brush roll (for measuring purposes)
- 2 different fabric prints (one plain and one patterned)
- hook and loop or a snap
- quilt batting
- sewing machine
- Lay one piece of fabric under an old brush roll and cut around an inch larger than the brush roll. If you do not have an old brush roll, add a half an inch longer (for the height of the brush roll) than your largest brush you will be using. Add this to your regular seam allowance. Cut the second piece of fabric the same size as the first. The measurements of my fabric were 14.5 ” length by 10.5″ width.
- Turn the fabric right sides together and stitch around the outer edges leaving a couple inches open on one side. Clip the corners before turning right sides out.
- Turn right side out and iron flat
- Add a piece of batting to the inside measuring the same width and length as the finished fabric piece. Place the batting inside and lay flat. Pin from the middle towards the outer edges.
- Sew close enough to the edge to sew through the batting.
6. Take another piece of fabric (I used the plain hot pink) and make a similar two sided piece (where the brushes will slide in) approximately 9.5″ long by 5.5″ wide. Sew these two pieces right sides together, leaving about an opening about an inch in order to turn right sides out. Clip corners and turn right side out, iron.
7. Sew this brush holder piece to the far right edge, lining the bottom up with the bottom of the base. Place the first brush against this seam and place the fabric over the brush so it sits in this pocket comfortably. Then pinch over the bottom of the pocket and pin. Repeat for each brush, pen or pencil that you wish to carry in this brush roll.
8. Once you have placed and pinned the bottom seam, remove the brushes or pens and sew along the bottom edge and up the left side of the brush holder piece. Then you will sew a seam between each slot for the brushes.
9. Make another dual sided piece of fabric in the patterned print that will cover the brushes, pens and pencils on the top. My measurement for this piece is 5″ width by 9.5″ length. Pin and sew along the top of the base of the brush roll.
10. To keep the batting firmly in place, sew an X across the far left flap from top left corner to the bottom corner where the brush holder starts. Complete the X with a seam from the top right above the brush holder down to the bottom left of the outer flap. (refer to two pictures below)
Add a self adhesive hook and loop or sew on a snap to hold the DIY brush roll together or leave without.
Even though I share a lot of freebies, I held back for years in starting to paint because I feared failure. As creatives, you and I can be held back due to negative thinking. It might look like comparing your ability to others or not having the confidence to pursue your creative talent or putting your creations out into the world.
But what if you could change that? I have just the freebie for you –
Do you want to build a creative business but are struggling to find the answer to “what do I do next?”
I can help you GAIN CONFIDENCE and CLARITY to achieve your goal.
I can help you ACHIEVE your goal and LAUNCH your business. I help take out the overwhelm.
The Freebie is called the Creative Clarity Workbook. This workbook will walk you through the key Preparing and Planning components of successfully launching:
- Core Values
- Changing negative beliefs into Affirmations
- Creating a Vision Board
- Vocalizing and Visualizing your Dream
- Creating Community
- How to take Action
Grab your FREE Workbook with the link below.
Remember to pin image to read later or share Pinterest. Thank you!
Now you have a custom DIY brush roll for taking your art mobile! This easy DIY takes minimal time and fabric to achieve great results.
For additional easy DIY craft projects, click the pictures to take you to the post.
If you like what you have read, please share the love with a comment or pin. Thank you!
Blessings from my house to yours,